Ageing Well Torbay is a six year project, funded by the National Lottery Community Fund, which aims to reconnect communities and reduce social isolation amongst the 50+ populous across Torbay.
People over the age of 50 have told us they are isolated due to retirement, bereavement, low income, poor health and mobility, lack of transport, and fear of leaving the house.
From work carried out by our delivery partners over the last three years, we know that there are isolated people aged 50+ in every neighbourhood of Torbay. We believe that older age should be viewed as an opportunity and that people over 50 should be valued and able to contribute to their communities.
Ageing Well Torbay is part of Ageing Better, a programme set up by The National Lottery Community Fund, the largest funder of community activity in the UK. Ageing Better aims to develop creative ways for people over 50 to be actively involved in their local communities, helping to combat social isolation and loneliness. It is one of five major programmes set up by The National Lottery Community Fund to test and learn from new approaches to designing services which aim to make people’s lives healthier and happier.
Looking after all our tomorrows today
Did you know:
- Approximately 45% of Torbay’s population is over the age of 50
- Over 6000 residents are isolated, through issues such as bereavement, retirement, poor health and low income.
- The majority of people asked across Torbay hold a negative view of ageing.
- People over 50 want and deserve to be treated with respect, yet many feel they have nothing to live for.
- Celebrate the skills, stories and knowledge or people over the age of 50.
- Enable older people to feel their live have value and purpose.
- Involve you, your neighbours, friends and family to make Torbay a positive place, where everyone feels included.
- Reconnect people with their friends and communities
- Strengthen the voice of over 50’s through an Over 50’s Assembly.
To download our information leaflet, click here: AWT Partners info leaflet PDF download
A series of ‘Community Vision’ events were held across Brixham, Paignton and Torquay in the Spring and Summer of 2014, as part of the National Lottery Community Fund-funded initiative Fulfilling Lives: Ageing Better, programme.
The engagement work revealed concerns of identity, social value and loss of purpose, with many individuals speaking of feeling excluded and isolated through issues such as lack of a job, or losing touch with friends and relatives having relocated to the area.
In the Autumn/Winter of 2014, Torbay learnt that it had been granted £6 million from the National Lottery Community Fund to implement a programme of Ageing Better across the Bay. The engagement work from the Spring/Summer had given a clear indication that in order to make positive change, it would be necessary to create strong neighbourhood networks and to reach every front door, engaging particularly with those most marginalised and vulnerable.
Download our years 1 & 2 report by clicking here