Ageing Well Festival @Home 2020
Celebrate with us from home – Saturday 24th October 2020, 10am-3pm
Ageing Well Festival @Home 2020 programme
Here’s what will be airing as part of our livestream, which you’ll be able to watch right here, on the Ageing Well Torbay website: (subject to change)
9:30am-10am preshow: Yoga with Victoria Campbell
10am: Introduction and welcome
- Performances and singing exercises by Torbay Rock Choir
- Preview of Anne George’s talk – Born into Entertainment (Coming to the Palace Theatre, 1st April 2021)
- Baking cheese scones with Torbay Libraries
- A introduction to bowling, by Paignton Bowling Club
- Virtual tour of Brixham Battery Heritage Centre
- Interview and folk rock historical music, with Ian Churchward of The Legendary Ten Seconds
- Standing and seated dance exercise, with Anne George and Claire Parker
- A talk by Kevin Dixon – Writers on the Riviera
- Making 3D paper tulips with Torbay Libraries
- A backstage virtual tour of the Palace Theatre, Paignton
- A talk with folk music by Maggie Duffy – Devon, Historical and Hysterical
- Simple steps to mastering the Piano, with Mervyn Gibbs
- A talk and duet by Twogetherness – A Glamorous Life?
- Mervin Toogood and Keyboard classics
- Dancing through the Decades, with Torbay Libraries
- A talk by Kevin Dixon – The Great Torquay Night Out
- Final message and thank yous
- Tai Chi and Qigong with Lisa Kay
All content mentioned above, along with content we unfortunately had to cut due to time constraints will be archived and available to watch here on the AWT website after Saturday 24th October.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, the 2020 Ageing Well Festival, which was originally due to take place at the Riviera Centre in Torquay, will now be taking place virtually.
This year’s festival will take place in an online video live stream, here on the Ageing Well Torbay website, and on FM radio, as we will be premiering videos online of talks, entertainment, and activities on the day, along with interviews, music and more on Riviera FM radio (107.9) (live 11am-3pm)
We’re hoping to hold our next full festival at the Riviera Centre next year, most likely during Autumn. Please be aware, this could change, depending on the status of the pandemic, government guidance, etc.
The Ageing Well Festival is an annual celebration for Torbay’s over 50’s, organised by over 50’s. As Ageing Well Torbay aims to reduce loneliness and social isolation people aged 50+ are experiencing in Torbay, the festival is an opportunity to bring together hundreds of people, to inform, help, and celebrate – embracing four words chosen by our committee to represent the spirit of the festival: Love, Live, Laugh, Learn.
Activities on offer have ranged from music and dance of all sorts of genres, to stalls representing local organisations, groups and services, workshops covering arts & crafts, wellbeing and accessible gentle exercise, and talks on topics including rockstars and filmmakers who’ve visited Torbay, local history, and astronomy. We’ve also thrown in everything from hippies and robots, to scooters and clowns for good measure.
If you would like to join our committee of over 50 year olds in shaping this event, email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us why you’d like to join.