A co-designed, collaborative “Stay put – Peer Support” project
Tenders up to £250,000 for projects lasting a minimum of 30 months
During our ‘Food for Thought’ sessions, older people identified themselves as being an ‘untapped resource’ and more able to support their peers (with low level DIY, gardening, shopping, household chores, neighbourly driving) to live inter-dependently.
However they recognised that there were barriers to helping or providing this natural support, such as the potential distrust or suspicion people fear their offers of support will be met with, ‘red tape’ including the need for CRB checks and/or insurance, and also how independence and pride are valued over inter-dependence and may make people reluctant or embarrassed to ask for or accept support.
We want to make sure older people get the services that they want, rather than what “we” think they need.
To meet this objective, Ageing Well Torbay (AWT) are launching a Big Commission, which will be used to fund a project that is co-designed with older people and will enable people over 50 to support their peers to remain inter-dependent at home.
It is unlikely that this new service will be met by one organisation working alone and so we are looking for collaboration between interested organisations, particularly those who either work with, provide or have experience of providing:
- Home Support services to people including those over 50 – such as befriending, shopping, domestic tasks
- Gardening and DIY services to people including those over 50
- Agencies using innovative ways to attract and support volunteers, including those over 50 into the diverse range of volunteer options and choices
- Home Care Support services to people including those over 50
- Volunteer driving schemes
- Agencies who are exploring intergenerational support and training opportunities
Interested parties and potential tenderers must attend one of the AWT collaboration workshops on 6th or 12th July in Torquay, and at least one (preferably more) of the co-design workshops on 2nd, 3rd or 9th August 2018.
For more information Contact Sue McDermott on 01803 212638 or email email@example.com, or book places on our workshops via EventBrite:
- Collaboration Workshops (6th/12th July): https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/big-commission-collaboration-workshops-tickets-47348851690
- Co-Design Workshops (2nd/3rd/9th August): https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/big-commission-co-design-workshops-tickets-47349581874