To help shielded people to get out and about safely, a number of parks/open spaces in Torbay will be dedicated for shielded people only at certain times in the day during August and September, and a number of tourism sites will provide dedicated opening times and tours for more vulnerable members of the local community. This has been made possible through a partnership with the English Riviera Global Geopark and Torbay Council’s Natural Environment team.
At these times, only vulnerable and previously shielded people will be permitted into these sites, thereby reducing their risk. You are still encouraged to maintain a distance, limit contact with people outside of your household, wash your hands regularly and if you have symptoms, to get tested.
The Geopark tourism sites follow. For more information, see www.englishrivierageopark.org.uk/section_main.cfm?section=5006, call the venue, or visit their website.
Kents Cavern will be reopening on 11th July, offering pre-booked tours only for a maximum of ten people, and special tour slots for vulnerable groups.
Tel: 01803 215136
From 8 July the two main galleries and visitor welcome point at Cockington Court will be open on Wednesday afternoons (1pm to 4:30pm) following a deep clean for people who have been shielding. The Seven Dials cafe is open for takeaways with plenty of outside space to enjoy.
Tel: 01803 607230
Torre Abbey will reopen on 14th July to the Friends of the Abbey and members of the 1196 Club, moving towards a full opening to the public from 28th July. The Abbey will undergo a deep clean whilst closed each Monday, and then will just be open just to those who have been shielding each Tuesday.
Tel: 01803 293593
Torbay Coast and Countryside Trust sites
TCCT has created special guidance on how to safely visit their sites such as Berry Head and Saltern Cove, including a COVID Countryside Code offering advice on staying safe when visiting Trust sites.
Tel: 01803 520022
Artizan Gallery, Lucius Street and Fleet Walk, Torquay
Artizan Gallery will be offering morning bookings exclusively to vulnerable groups/individuals 9am to 11am every weekday they open and 9am to 10am on Saturdays.
Tel: 07762 921571
Reach Outdoors, Seashore Centre, Tanners Road, Goodrington
For fans of paddle boarding and Kayaking, Reach Outdoors are offering an early bird slot between 9am and 10am to people who have been shielding. Private group sessions for a ‘shielding circle’ of up to five people are also available for up to 3 hours.
Tel: 01803 524950
Parks & Open spaces:
The participating parks/open spaces follow. For more information, please call Torbay Community Helpline on 01803 446022, or use the online form: bit.ly/torbayhelpline
- Bonsey Gardens, off North Furzeham Road – Mondays 2 to 4pm
- St Mary’s Park (with play park) – Thursdays 10am to 12noon
- Shoalstone Picnic Area – Tuesdays 10am to 12noon
- Preston Gardens, Torquay Road – Tuesdays 10:30am to 12:30pm
- Hollicombe Park – Thursdays 2pm to 4pm
- Young’s Park near the bandstand, Goodrington – Tuesdays 11am to 1pm
- Palace Avenue Gardens – Wednesdays 10:30am to 12:30pm
- St Michaels Field (with play park), St Michael’s Road – Mondays 2pm to 4pm
- Stanley Gardens (with play park), – Thursdays 2pm to 4pm
- Primley Park (with play park), off Totnes Road – Fridays 11am to 1pm
- Our Space at the Acorn Centre, Lummaton Cross – Wednesdays 2pm to 4pm
- Steps Cross, off Teignmouth Road – Thursdays 10am to 12noon
- Cricketfield Community Garden, Cricketfield Road – Fridays 10am to 12noon
- Tessier Gardens (adults only), Lindridge Road, adjacent to Furrough Cross Church Tuesdays 10:30am-12.30pm and Thursday 1pm to 3pm.
- Kitson Park, Cadewell Lane – Tuesdays 11am to 12noon
- Brewery Park (Top), Lower Ellacombe Church Road – Mondays 2pm to 4pm and Thursdays 10am to 12noon
- Millennium Copse, between Chilcote Close and Rowley Road, St Marychurch – Wednesday 11am to 1pm
Torbay Community Helpline is also offering a buddy service for those who would like a volunteer to escort them on their first trips out and about. For more info, call 01803 446022, or use the online form: bit.ly/torbayhelpline
Below is a map of all the sites mentioned above: